new coils done
Hi guys, I made some more coils tonight for you to use. Should I do a vacuum cure with the additional facing layer? Or I can just leave them as they are. It didn't seem like the coils coming off the membrane was an issue in the first test...
On sunday, I was having trouble with the coil plotter, but I fixed the problem tonight. The wire kept getting pulled off the substrate -- I thought it was a Z-height issue. Actually, what was happening was that the very curvy toolpath of this speaker was putting too much unbalanced axial force on the small bearing that lays down the wire. When I took the tool apart, I could feel the characteristic "crunchy" feel of an overloaded bearing that no longer turns well. It's only 3mm x 1mm, so the static load rating is only ~3 kg. I replaced it with a 3mm x 1.5mm bearing, which should increase its lifetime. I also slowed the speed of the tool down a bit.